Photo by Quaritsch Photography on Unsplash
Texas is famous for its unique blend of traditional cuisines. Many visitors to Texas will notice the influence of Mexican and Southwestern flavors, as well as Tex-Mex dishes like chili con carne, tacos, and enchiladas.
The coastal regions are known for seafood, while barbecue is beloved all over the state. Chili is a staple in Texas, and everything from breakfast tacos to brisket to chips and queso can be found.
It’s Local, and It’s Global
Traditional dishes like chicken-fried steak, kolaches, and some of the best chili dogs around are also popular here.
German, Czech, and other influences have spread through Texas to create unique dishes such as schnitzel and kolaches.
Tex-Mex is an influence all over the state, but certain towns specialize in certain types of Mexican food, like tacos al pastor or barbacoa.
Texas also has its own type of cuisine, with dishes such as puffy tacos, migas, Frito pie, and chili gravy found throughout the state.
Tex-Cajun cuisine combines Cajun flavors with Texas specialties, and is especially popular in the Houston area.
And of course, no one can forget the classic Texas sirloin steak which is found everywhere from Dallas to Amarillo.
And if multicultural breakfast food is what you’re craving, look no further than the breakfast restaurants in Houston.
Food Festivals and Events in Texas
Texas is no stranger to food festivals and events. They are a great way to enjoy some of Texas’s best cuisine, meet new friends, and discover something new. Some of the most popular food festivals in Texas include:
Austin Food & Wine Festival
This annual event takes place in March at Auditorium Shores in Austin. Over the course of three days, guests will be able to sample dishes from some of Texas’s best chefs and enjoy live music from top local bands.
Houston BBQ Festival
Smoke fills the air and your mouth waters at this annual event held in October at NRG Park in Houston. Enjoy pork ribs and brisket from some of the best pitmasters in Texas, as well as beer and wine tastings.
San Antonio Margarita Festival
Sample margaritas from dozens of restaurants and bars at this annual event held in June in Travis Park. Enjoy live music, food trucks, and games for a full day of fun.
Dallas Chocolate Festival
Indulge your sweet tooth at this annual festival held in October at the Fashion Industry Gallery. Sample chocolates from over 30 different local and national vendors, watch chef demonstrations, and take part in workshops.
No matter what type of food you’re looking for, Texas has a festival or event that’s sure to tantalize your taste buds. From barbecue and margaritas to chocolate and wine, there’s something for everyone at these events.
Famous Texan Dishes
Texas is well-known for a variety of delicious dishes and culinary styles, including:
- Tex-Mex: A fusion of Mexican and American flavors, this style of cuisine combines ingredients like tortillas, peppers, cheese, and beef to create tasty burritos, fajitas, tacos, quesadillas, nachos, and more.
- Barbecue: Texas is known for its slow-cooked barbecue featuring brisket, ribs, pulled pork, and more. Different regions of the state have their own unique styles and flavors of barbecue.
- Southern Comfort Food: With ingredients like chicken-fried steak and macaroni & cheese, this style of cooking is sure to satisfy any comfort food craving.
- Tex-Cajun: A combination of Cajun and Texas flavors, this cuisine features dishes like jambalaya, gumbo, crawfish etouffeé, po’ boys and more.
- German-Texan Food: This style of cooking combines the traditional flavors of German cuisine with Texan influences, creating dishes like schnitzel, sausage links, sauerkraut and more.
- Seafood: With access to the Gulf Coast, Texans can enjoy a variety of fresh seafood dishes including oysters, crab cakes, shrimp po’ boys and more.
- Mexican Food: Texas has a large population of Mexican-Americans, so naturally there are plenty of delicious Mexican dishes to be found in the Lone Star State. From tacos to enchiladas and burritos to tamales, there’s something for everyone.
- Burgers and Fries: Texas is home to some of the best burgers and fries in the country. From greasy dive bars to five-star restaurants, you can find a range of different styles and flavors when it comes to burger joints in Texas.
- Texan-Asian Cuisine: A unique blend of Asian ingredients and cooking styles combined with Texan flair, this cuisine includes dishes like Mongolian beef, egg rolls, fried rice, and more.
- Tex-Italian: Italian flavors get a Texas twist in this style of cooking. From lasagna to pizza to spaghetti and meatballs, you can find plenty of delicious Italian-inspired meals throughout the state.
- Bonus: Chicken Fried Steak: A classic Texan dish, chicken fried steak is a pan-fried cut of beef that’s usually served with gravy and mashed potatoes.
No matter what kind of cuisine you’re in the mood for, Texas has something for everyone! So grab your fork and dig in – you won’t be disappointed.
Eating Out in Texas
Texas offers some of the best dining experiences in the country. From classic southern comfort food to innovative fusion cuisine, there is something for everyone when it comes to eating out in Texas.
For those looking for a true taste of local Texan cooking, look no further than Austin’s renowned barbecue joints. With well-known establishments like Franklin Barbecue, La Barbecue and Micklethwait Craft Meats, you can enjoy some of the best brisket, ribs and pulled pork.
Taco lovers won’t be disappointed in Texas either. San Antonio’s iconic Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia has made a name for itself with its delectable tacos and margaritas, while Houston’s Tacos A Go-Go has been serving up delicious tacos for over 20 years.
If you’re in the mood for some seafood, head to Galveston where you’ll find mouthwatering dishes like fish tacos and po’ boys. For a more upscale experience, check out Dallas’s Uchi, where you can sample high-end Japanese cuisine with a Texas twist.
When it comes to dessert, there’s no better place to satisfy your sweet tooth than Austin’s legendary Voodoo Doughnuts. With imaginative treats like the Bacon Maple Bar and Memphis Mafia doughnut, this quirky shop has something for everyone.
No matter what kind of food you’re in the mood for, Texas has it all. From classic Tex-Mex to innovative sushi and BBQ, there’s something for everyone when it comes to eating out in Texas.
Texas is known for its diverse cuisine which includes Tex-Mex and barbecue dishes, as well as fresh seafood, Cajun and Creole specialties.
In addition to traditional fare, there are also a variety of modern restaurants which offer globally inspired delights.
Whether you’re looking for a classic Texas treat or something new and exciting, Texas has something to offer for everyone.