The food and beverage industry is one of the largest industries in the world and it is continually growing at a rapid pace. The two major packing systems that are used in this industry are Bottled and jarred packaged goods. The food industry is growing and so is the demand for a large number of brands, and products, and the need for packaged and canned food. With the growing number of food companies and the demand for a large number of food products, the packaging industry is growing rapidly. The most common packaging material in the food industry is glass and plastic containers. But before deciding what the appropriate packaging material is for you, you should know the pros and cons of these packaging materials. Bottled and jarred packaged goods, which is an important part of product marketing, have a great impact on the consumer. It can attract consumers to pay more attention to the product, or it can get consumers to choose the product. Bottled and jarred packaged goods also play an important role in the market, because it is the first contact with consumers, and the quality of the packaging determines the consumer’s perception of the product. Therefore, bottled and jarred packaged goods is necessary to master the skill of packaging to better promote the product.
Why do people prefer bottled and jarred packaged goods?
It is important to know the following reasons.
- Bottled and jarred packaged goods are often more convenient to use than bottled products. They are not easy to break, and the bottle does not need to be open, so it is more convenient to use.
- Bottled and jarred packaged goods are more environmentally friendly. Bottled and jarred packaged goods are usually made of plastic, which is not biodegradable, so they are not environmentally friendly. The plastic of the bottle is not fully recycled, and the residue of the plastic waste is often mixed with other plastics and buried, which has a detrimental effect on the environment.
- Bottled and jarred packaged goods is more convenient. Many jars are made of PET bottles, which are used for packaging. The jar can be reused without washing, and it is easier to store.
- The cost of bottled goods is higher than that of jarred goods. Jarred goods only need to pay for the raw materials themselves, while bottled goods need to pay for the raw materials and the packaging.
Disadvantages of packaging goods:
Bottled and jarred packaged goods have been a trend in the market for many years. The market has seen a transition from traditional packaging to a new type of packaging that is convenient and attractive. This packaging enables consumers to easily access the contents of the package while offering them protection from external factors. However, despite the many advantages of bottled and jarred goods, they also have reasons for this transition. Which are the disadvantages of bottled and jarred packaged goods? Bottled and jarred packaged goods are not suitable for everyone. There are certain groups of people who use packaged goods and others who do not use them. For example, children under 3 years old and the elderly do not use bottled or jarred goods because they are difficult to open. The elderly also have problems opening these packages, especially those with tight lids. Also, bottled and jarred packaged goods are not suitable for people with reduced manual dexterity. Bottles and jars are sold in various shapes, sizes and colours. This diversity of design makes it difficult to store in different cabinets, as they are not uniform.
Cost-Effective Packaging Types
Food packaging jars :
Another great glass option is glass canisters since they are recyclable, renewable and durable. They often come in a square shape, but they are also available in different thicknesses, sizes and shapes. They all come with airtight lids. The lid prevents bacterial growth. On top of that, it keeps toxic chemicals from being released when you microwave or freeze food and beverages in glass canisters. Glass jars and canisters keep your food in an enclosed environment, which prevents contamination and spoilage.
Canned packaged goods :
Businesses in the food industry use metal containers to store a variety of food items. These types of containers are usually made of tin-plated steel, which is resistant to corrosion. They also don’t easily react to acidic foods. Another pro of using metal containers is they are dependable and durable.
Glass containers :
Plastic bottles are the most popular type of packaging used for jarred and bottled packaged goods. Most people prefer plastic because it’s affordable, flexible, durable and convenient. These bottles are often used to store beverages and food. Despite being a convenient option, plastic is infamous for causing environmental pollution. Since they aren’t renewable, they are unsuitable for recycling, which means they take up the most space in our garbage sites.
Businesses that wish to continue using bottles then switch to glass options. Glass is friendlier to the environment and versatile packaging material. It can be fashioned into different sizes and shapes. However, if not handled well, they can easily break.
Cardboard packaging :
Cardboard bottled and jarred packaged goods aren’t just more affordable than glass packaging, they are also sustainable. They are also a great alternative to aluminium, plastic and tinplate. Cardboard packaging also has low production costs, which is a plus for budget-conscious companies. If you are using cardboard, consider material sustainability and the limitations involved.
What are the Pros?
- Hygienic. Cleanliness is a priority in packaging. Bottles and jars score high marks in this area, especially glass canisters. They don’t oxidise, affect the contents or emit harmful radiation. You can thermally pack food products in glass jars to avoid spoilage.
- Duration. The shelf-life of products is influenced by different factors like packaging type, temperature and moisture levels. With the right type of packaging (whether it’s small glass jars or wooden boxes), you can prolong the shelf-life of your food products.
- Long-term storage. Bottled and jarred packaged goods are scalable and affordable solutions. You can use these cost-effective packaging materials to properly store the rest of your goods without worrying about the duration.
- Transparency. Most bottled and jarred packaged goods are transparent. You can easily see what is inside or recognise the product without opening it. This makes shopping quick and easy since customers know what they are buying.
- Convenient. Items in bottled and jarred packaged goods are easy to use and can be kept anywhere. For example, you can take a jar of pickles anywhere without worrying about spillage. Also, jar-packed foods are often ready-made meals that anyone can prepare. Instead of cooking, all you have to do is pour the ingredients and heat them.
- Eco-friendly. If you want to be more friendly to the environment, good glass packaging should do the trick. Bottled and jarred packaged goods are 100 per cent recyclable, which means they do no harm to Mother Nature. This is why many businesses use huge glass jars for their good items.
What are the Cons?
- Fragile packaging. While bottled and jarred packaged goods are convenient and good to look at, they are fragile. If you are using glass packaging, it can easily break.
- Expensive. Since glass is a fragile packaging material, it can be more expensive compared to other packaging materials.
Many Customers Prefer Bottled and Jarred Goods
- Proper storage of food. When it comes to shopping for food items, most customers prefer packaged products. They believe that properly packaged food items are more sanitary compared to unpacked ones. Packaged food is also safer for consumption since they are safe from germs and bacteria.
- Easy to carry. When compared to unpacked goods, bottled and jarred packaged goods are easier to handle and transport. They are also easier to store—no need to transfer the food to another container at home.
- Labelling and description. Bottled and jarred packaged goods come with a detailed description of the item. The label lists down the ingredients, costs, date of production and expiry date.
Why is Food Packaging Important?
Improper bottled and jarred packaged goods can make the food less appetising. Apart from making the food attractive, the food packaging serves a lot of other purposes as well—protecting food from contamination, ensuring its temperature, and saving it from impact during shipping. In a nutshell, packaging creates an association between the food brand and the audience. It leaves a long-lasting image in their mind. If not now, it motivates the consumers to make a purchase some other time. Packaging makes the food more delicious. It makes you win the half battle – food that looks better tastes even better. That’s its impact! Upon delivery, if customers find the food spilt all over the packaging, he feels disgusted. So, the shipping packaging is also equally important. It keeps the product safe and in place until delivery. As pointed out previously, it attracts customers and encourages them to buy the product. For instance, if you sell, say items in a pack of 12. You pack the same untidily and ship them. It will give the consumers a bad impression of your brand. Also, since the food items are meant to be intake, many consumers may feel disgusted to intake them just because they ain’t packed nicely. Maybe they are spilt all over the packaging. So, you must pack them nicely in a small or medium corrugated box. In all, you must also not miss this amazing opportunity to deliver quality to your customers through packaging and encourage them to make yet another purchase from you.
FAQs about Bottles and Jarred Packaged Goods :
- What are packaged goods?
Packaged goods refer to products that are available in containers like jars, bottles, tins, packets, cans, and boxes.
- What is the value of packaged goods to manufacturers and customers?
Packaging is an important part of the manufacturing process. It helps protect the goods from damage and contamination. It also helps manufacturers to deliver and transport the goods safely. On the other hand, packaged goods ensure quality to customers. It makes storage easier and also extends the lifespan of the product.
- Bottled or jarred goods, which should you select?
Bottled and jarred packaged goods are extremely popular around the world. They are equally good, so you should select one based on your budget and personal requirement.
- Are bottled and jarred packaged goods harmful to the environment?
Bottled and jarred packaged goods in glass canisters are not harmful to the environment. However, plastic bottles are, as it emits harmful chemicals.
- What causes food spoilage?
Food spoilage is often caused due to microbes that grow at appropriate temperatures and humidity.
- How to extend the shelf life of bottled and jarred packaged goods?
By choosing the right packaging materials, you can extend the lifespan of jarred and packaged goods.
- Are packaged foods safe to eat?
Most packed foods are safe to eat. But some might require proper storage and handling to keep them from contamination caused by dust, dirt and other contaminants. Some packaged items also need heating before eating.
To avoid drinking dirty tap water, people have switched to bottled water. Many packaged goods are sold in glass canisters with lids, which is healthier than canned goods. The advantage of glass canisters is that they can be recycled or reused. Plus, they don’t contain any harmful chemicals that could contaminate food. Most packaged foods available in the market are safe to consume. However, some of these packaged foods need to be handled and stored properly to avoid bacterial growth. For example packaged fruits. There also exist packaged foods that need to be reheated before eating. Grocery stores provide a wide range of packaged products. The good thing about these packaged goods is that they are cheap and usually have a longer shelf-life.