The digital revolution has changed the web development landscape, bringing new trends. The upcoming web development trends highlight the changing industrial demands, technological advancements, and user requirements in 2024. Furthermore, they also offer numerous opportunities for business growth. Hence, businesses and developers must clearly understand and strategically implement them to remain competitive, grow, and succeed.
So, let’s delve into the top 6 web development trends that will take charge in the upcoming year.
1. Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
AI and ML have shown their exceptional power this year, especially in the web development domain. Some of the ways in which AI and ML will optimize the entire web development process include:
- AI Programming Tools: GitHub Copilot and ChatGPT can automate repetitive web development tasks like completing code blocks, generating relevant code snippets, suggesting code implementations, and more. Furthermore, ML algorithms trained on vast code repositories can even assist developers in writing better and cleaner codes.
- Automated Translations: Deep learning algorithms require minimal latency to translate website content into numerous languages automatically. This can lead to increased readership and traffic on your site.
- Web Design Suggestions: Based on customer data, AI can suggest personalized layout designs that can make your website even more appealing and user-centric. Customized website designs will resonate with users, which can increase user engagement and traffic.
- Customer Service: AI chatbots and virtual assistants can be integrated into your web solution to automate customer service. Chatbots and virtual assistants can deliver 24/7 support, resolve user queries in less time.
- Personalized Recommendations: AI analyzes user behavior, interaction patterns, preferences, and other data to offer customized recommendations, increasing the chances of more conversions.
- Improved Security: AI can safeguard your web solution from cybercrimes in four main ways – network protection, end-point protection, counterattacks, and suspect user behavior. Firstly, machine learning constantly updates its database with current threats and detects them easily, ensuring better network protection. Secondly, as a part of end-point protection, AI analyzes typical malware behavior to prevent ransomware attacks. Thirdly, AI can counterattack cross-site scripting, distributed denial-of-service, server-side request forgery, and SQL injection to improve software security. Lastly, machine learning has a large database of suspected user behavior that helps identify the occurrence of threat or compromise information. All these improve software security.
- Voice-based Searches: Voice assistants, when integrated into your web solutions, can deliver benefits like removing typing necessities, responding to users’ queries in preferred languages, using the right intonation for building trust among users, and more. Therefore, with voice assistants in your web solution, you can ensure better user experience, convenience, and trust in your audience. You can hire web developers to integrate voice assistants smoothly into your web solutions for the best results.
However, there is a lot more to unveil. Hence, in 2024, businesses and developers can expect more advanced AI tools to improve web development.
2. Blockchain Technology
Blockchain has come a long way since the inception of cryptocurrency. The primary reason for Blockchain’s adoption is its immutable nature, which keeps information and databases safe and secure. Therefore, with rising cybercrimes, blockchain will be largely used in web development services. Let’s check out the other ways in which Blockchain is helping web development processes.
- Decentralized Web Solutions: You can build decentralized web solutions for your business. In decentralized web solutions, the data is not stored in single servers. Rather, it is spread across multiple nodes. These solutions will update data on the block, which can be viewed by any authorized user on the chain. Therefore, in 2024, users will operate on a new form of web solutions that will improve collaboration, security, and transparency.
- Modification Monitoring: When monitoring the entire web development project, blockchain can be used as a ledger. Ledgers record every action in a network and provide you with greater transparency and control over your web development project.
- Secure Domain Names: Developers prefer using blockchain for handling domain names to traditional domain service providers. Using a private key, you can own and control these domain names. Furthermore, traditional domain service providers often block websites against abuse, fraud, illegal content, and other reports. On the other hand, a central authority does not control blockchain technology, and hence, no one can censor or block a particular website.
In the upcoming year, we will see more blockchain’s applications in web development.
3. Serverless Architecture
Serverless architecture or computing refers to the cloud computing model that offers on-demand machine resources to reduce cloud management complexities for users. Serverless architecture can help web developers in the following ways:
- Reduces Server Deployment Complexities: Serverless cloud providers take care of capacity planning, container scaling, configuration, fault tolerance, maintenance, management, and physical servers or virtual machines (VMs) on behalf of the developers. Hence, developers can simply focus on coding.
- Easy Integration with Traditional Methods: You can use serverless code alongside traditional coding styles like microservices and monoliths, simplifying the code deployment process.
- On-demand Resource Delivery: Providers deliver machine resources for cloud server management on demand. Moreover, they do not allocate resources for dormant apps or unused apps.
- Optimized Code Execution: Serverless architecture executes codes in short bursts rather than holding resources in the volatile memory. This saves storage space.
- Saves Resource Costs: Serverless architecture providers promote utility billing where the price depends on the resources that a solution has consumed.
4. Dark Mode
Dark mode is a user interface (UI) trend that has gained popularity in web development because it offers:
- Comfortable Experience: Unlike the traditional light background with dark text, dark mode offers a dark background with light text. It provides a comfortable experience during longer screen times and reduces eye strain.
- Improved Accessibility: A darker background with lighter text improves reading and navigating through text and other interface elements.
- Reduced Battery Consumption: Dark mode can save the battery life of OLED-screened devices since it uses less power to display a dark background.
5. No-code/Low-code Development
According to a Gartner report, by 2026, 80% of the user base for no-code informal IT developers will comprise developers outside formal IT departments. No-code and low-code are rapid development approaches (RDA) where you can create simple applications without extensive coding. These no-code and low-code tools offer drag-and-drop interfaces and pre-built components for developing simple applications. Some of the benefits of no-code and low-code development include:
- Faster Development: No-code and low-code development platforms remove the hassle of comprehensive programming. Users can simply drag and drop the pre-built elements like data displays, forms, and workflows to develop solutions. Hence, it reduces development time and improves agility.
- Lesser Bugs: With no-code/low-code platforms, less code is required to develop these solutions. Therefore, the chances of finding and resolving errors/bugs are also reduced. So, you can save the time needed for rigorous testing.
- Multi-featured solutions: No-code and low-code platforms no longer deliver basic features and functions. Today, these platforms offer rich features and integrations to help you develop tailored web solutions.
- Multiple projects: Deploying a software solution on the cloud server is a complex task. These platforms help you to develop multiple web solutions for different platforms. Furthermore, it simplifies deploying these web solutions.
6. Motion UI
Motion UI, or Motion User Interface or Motion Design, refers to creating flexible UI animations, transitions, and other interactive visual elements for your web solution. Motion UI has gained prominence due to:
- Visual Storytelling: Motion UI can help web developers create and compose motion sequences with interactive animations and transitions to make your brand’s story engaging and memorable. For example, you can turn complex data into appealing and easy-to-understand infographics.
- Responsive Designs: Motion UI ensures that each animation, design, and transition created for the user interface adapts to different screen sizes.
- Smooth Transitions: Motion UI can help create smooth transitions between different sections and pages of your web solutions (especially PWAs) to maintain a smooth flow throughout the web solution and improve user experience.
The evolving web development landscape will bring forth many exciting things to look forward to. If you can implement the full potential of all these technologies using the top web development stack, you can drive better conversions and deliver richer customer experiences and satisfaction. So, gear yourself up and revolutionize your business in the upcoming year.