In 2021, retail giant Amazon was expected to own 50% of the global e-commerce market. Generating billion-dollar increases in net revenue each year, this e-commerce mogul continues to grow and help retailers expand their businesses beyond their borders.
If you’re one of Amazon’s sellers, knowing how to capitalize on this platform’s marketing trends will help you improve your strategy and streamline your efforts. In this article, we discuss a few key elements and trends that will make your online store and merchandise more visible and easier to find for potential customers.
Owing to its popularity, Amazon retailers face a lot of competition. Properly leveraging these marketing trends will help you stay ahead of the curve.
1. Optimize Keywords to Focus on Relevance
It’s important to revisit your keywords periodically to make sure they’re still relevant for your product listing. If you don’t include the right keywords, or have unrelated keywords in your listing, it can negatively impact your reach and affect your sales.
How can you identify relevant keywords?
- Search for similar products on Google or Amazon, and notice the suggestions that pop up in the search bar as you type.
- Make a list of related searches and suggestions, and include the most relevant ones in your listing.
- Look for unique features and characteristics that can also be used when including useful keywords. This will help people find your listing more easily.
The whole point of choosing the best keyword is so that when a customer searches for a particular product, (for example: “shoes”), your product shows up in their search results. This can be accomplished by using related keywords, such as “shoes for women” and “stylish shoes” in your list of keywords.
2. Invest in Advertising
Advertising on Amazon is extremely cheap and follows a pay-per-click (PPC) model that is lucrative for sellers. Therefore, investing in Amazon advertising should be at the top of your marketing or advertising strategies, because it provides good returns:
- Sponsored product ads will help drive traffic towards a certain product.
- Sponsored brand ads will promote your brand in general.
- Sponsored display ads allow remarketing and increase middle and bottom-of-the-funnel action.
You can also use ads on Facebook and Instagram, and promote your products or listings with influencer marketing strategies to expand your reach.
Another way to broaden your audience with PPC is to create fun sponsored ads for different social media networks, and create SEO (search engine optimization) content for them.
Keep in mind that Amazon marketing on social media will require different strategies, depending on the platform, since each one has a different algorithm and user demographic. Because of this, you’ll find that one platform may be more effective for you than others.
3. Amazon Videos
Amazon videos can help you stand out from the crowd and entice viewers to purchase from you.
Videos are extremely useful for several reasons:
- They can provide valuable insights about your product. These could be details that are not included in the description, or that further elaborate on the information on your product page.
- Videos can be used to demonstrate how a product works and showcase its unique features.
- You can use videos to entice customers by emphasizing your item’s aspirational value.
- Your video can demonstrate different ways to use or style your product.
Videos are a great way to connect with your customers. Making fun, interesting, and appealing videos with high-quality content is a great way to boost your sales.
4. High-quality Photography
Product photography is a crucial part of any e-commerce endeavor, as it allows the customer to see the product and get a clear idea of what it looks like.
Here’s how to make sure your images work for you:
- Ensure the photos you select show the product appropriately from different angles and under different lighting.
- Add dimensions and other details in the image so it’s easier for the customer to recognize different parts of the product.
- If you’re selling clothes, show different-sized models wearing them. You can also demonstrate how they can be worn with various outfits.
- Include a sufficient number of photographs with the right resolution. Amazon allows sellers to add up to seven photos but recommends adding six photos and one video. They also advise sellers that the product should comprise 85% of the image and be no less than 1,000 pixels.
When selecting pictures to use for your Amazon listing, ensure that they are properly lit, clear, are high quality, and showcase the product appropriately. This will attract customers and allow your listing to rank higher on Amazon’s A10 algorithm.
5. A+ Content
A+ content can help increase product sales by up to 10%. It’s a term that refers to six important elements, regardless of the type of items you’re selling:
- Product title. The product title lets the customer immediately know what the product is, and often includes important keywords.
- Product image. Product images are important and help the customer view the product before purchasing.
- Product description. Product descriptions should include all of the important details about the product and necessary keywords for SEO.
- Product features. All of the essential and unique features of a product are highlighted in bullet points so it’s easy for the customer to look through them.
- Product ratings. Product ratings help customers understand whether or not a product is worth purchasing by looking at the ratings or stars. These are average estimates and ratings range between one and fivestars.
- Product reviews. Product reviews are reviews written by customers who have previously purchased the product. They provide details about the product and their experience with it, helping potential buyers understand the pros and cons of an item.
Each element is important. Before a customer makes a purchase, they often consider all of these components. The product ratings and product reviews are often the deciding factors, so it’s important that you maintain high product ratings and positive reviews. You also need to make sure you address any negative reviews and address customers’ issues. This shows that you offer responsive after-sales support.
These Amazon marketing trends and features can help you improve your visibility on the platform, make your product more compelling, and grow your business. Despite the competition, it’s possible to make your mark as an online retailer. Just keep these tips in mind and make sure to apply them to your store.
While you’re at it, it wouldn’t hurt to automate your FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon). If you’d like to learn more about FBA automation, read here.