If you use Gmail, Google Drive, Google Photos, Microsoft OneDrive, Netflix, or Amazon prime, then you are already interlinked with cloud computing. All of the mentioned software-based app services are based on cloud computing. To understand what is Cloud computing, stay tuned to this piece. We shall dig deeper into the concepts, the various types of cloud computing, and examples of cloud computing.
What is cloud computing?
To understand the concept of cloud computing first, one needs to realize that all the apps that we use in our daily lives are related to cloud computing. May it be sending an email with an attachment from a home device to access it at work via Gmail, or watching movies on Netflix – it is all an example of cloud computing.
Cloud computing is providing on-demand services over the internet. Let us understand this with the help of an example of cloud computing. Consider that you are an entrepreneur, who is introducing a start-up in the market. What are the initial resources one would require to begin with? A computer system, where all the documents will be accumulated and stored as data. However, there will be a time when your company will recruit several employees; to store their data one would have to acquire a hard disk – such as SSD, HDD or other systems or computers will be incorporated. So, this elaborate structure would cost a tonne of funds, then the maintenance of the hardware system will require a skilled tech team, then if any error or technical issue arises then a well-planned strategy has to be kept ready, along with all these the cost of maintenance and power of this system will also add to the list of expenses. Now in such situations, half of the systems may not be even utilized so the loss of it shall also go through the business owner.
In such cases, imagine if the business owner had access to such a service that would have stored all the data for them, or if any work needs to be conducted on the local servers or systems are worked out on a different remote system/ machine. In this case, the burden to pay the cost amount of maintenance, security, tech team, and recovery would have been laid on someone else. One could acquire all these services by paying a nominal fee, the services would be flexible accordioning to the needs of the entrepreneur. The only condition is good quality internet to access such a beneficial service. All of these are what the cloud computing services offer, and these are delivered by cloud providers.
Who are these cloud providers for cloud computing services?
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Microsoft Azure
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Although the above three are the major cloud providers, many companies are investing in this digital technology more often, so other cloud providers are,
- IBM Cloud
- Alibaba Cloud
- iCloud (Apple)
Pro-features of cloud computing:
- On-demand services: This means services are available whenever or however there is a demand for them.
- Pay-as-you-go model: This means, a user needs to pay the rate of the service according to the amount of service used. Neither more nor less.
- No additional cost: When a user accesses to cloud computing services, they are paying as much as the amount of service they would require. They do not need to take up the burden of paying the maintenance, security fees, teaching team, or recovery charges for the system used to provide the service.
What is an example of cloud computing?
- In case you are a coder or programmer, you install several software and systems. The performance of this software is henceforth dependent on the size of the device or the processor. However, if you are interviewed for internships or placements in an IT company, then your coding skills are tested, and the tests are taken place on online platforms. On these platforms, the functioning of your code or its efficiency depends on the internet connectivity and the cloud computing services provided by the respective companies conducting the tests on the platforms.
- Before google photos arrived in the smartphone scenario, earlier individuals used to save all the pictures in their gallery (device/system memory). However, now with the help of google photos, everyone can upload the pictures there or to google drive and delete them from the device. The pictures (data) remain stored, here, Google photos act as a cloud.
- Healthcare companies are using the cloud for developing more customized treatments that would cater to the individual’s specific needs.
- Finance companies are using cloud services to detect real-time fraud detection and prevention.
- Video game developers use the cloud to deliver online games.
Organizations of every size, type, and variety are using cloud computing services for a variety of uses such as:
- Data back-up
- Disaster recovery
- Virtual desktop
- Software developing
- Data analytics, and
- Customer-facing web applications