More than 30 years ago, the world saw the first version of Microsoft Excel and today it is considered one of the most popular and used programs in the world. Countless companies and businesses use it to keep records and communicate between employees. But the popularity of the online tool is growing and with it the competition for Excel. Students often need to use these programs to complete assignments in statistics and economics, for example. In our post, we will help you understand the best program to use to complete your tasks and be as productive as possible.
What is the difference between Google and Excel?
Despite the popularity of Google Sheets, Excel still retained loyal users who still use this program exclusively to this day. It is very often difficult for students to understand how best to do their assignments, and they ask for Excel homework help. Experts with experience are always ready to help them and eliminate the difficulties that may arise in work. If you find it challenging to understand what to use to complete the task yourself in the tables, then you can see what the differences are:
- Microsoft Excel has a subscription, but by using it, you will get a lot of valuable features that will help you work on your assignment or work.
- You can use Google Sheets for free if you cannot purchase a paid package from Excel.
- If you prefer to avoid working online, then Microsoft Excel will suit you best, and you can easily use them on a PC.
- Google Sheets is for those who like to do everything from anywhere in the world, regardless of location.
- Excel has a mobile application, but it is most often paid.
- Excel has more data visualization options.
- Formulas available in Excel are much better than in online Google Sheets.
- With Google Sheets, you can share your work with others and create projects or keep records together.
Advantages and disadvantages of Google Sheets
Of course, current students will most often choose online access. However, it’s still worth looking into it to choose the best homework solution accurately.
Benefits of Google Sheets.
- If you have a team assignment at college or work, then Google Sheets for adding data simultaneously is the best fit.
- It has a self-explanatory and straightforward interface, making it easier for students without special computer knowledge to use tables.
- All your work will be saved automatically, and you won’t have to worry about your job not being saved.
- You don’t have to worry about wasting much of your computer’s memory, as online spreadsheets don’t require anything from your device’s memory.
Disadvantages of Google Sheets.
- If you need to complete a task with a large amount of data, then you are better off using Excel, as it is better at handling such a task.
- Google Sheets will not help you create the visual component while working with formulas and Excel.
- To carry out complex and responsible accounting, as in accounting, Google spreadsheets are not enough.
- All your Google Sheets documents are automatically stored in the cloud; therefore, your data may be appropriated.
Of course, it is up to you to decide what to use to complete the work in which you need to use tables. When choosing, weigh all the pros and cons so that your project can get a proper assessment and, at the same time, surprise a professor or boss.
How to switch from Excel to Google Sheets
If you still choose to work with Google Sheets and use Excel before that, you can do it very quickly and without any extra effort. You only need to upload your document to Google Drive and open it in Google Sheets. Use the steps we’ll leave you below to get your paper online quickly.
- Fill in your Gmail login details and then open Google Drive.
- Click on the icon that says “Create.” Then you need to find “Upload File” to download the excel file.
- It will be easier for you to upload several files at once if you first create a folder and upload it in its entirety.
- Once your file has been uploaded to Google Drive, you will see a checkmark at the bottom of the screen.
- Open the document by double-clicking the mouse, and in case you need the Google format, then select “Open with Google Sheets.”
You should be prepared because you will not always be able to use your formulas in online spreadsheets. For example, you have completed half of the work and need to translate the project into an online format. Be careful, as some formulas not in the Google Sheets system may not be in your document after downloading. And in this way, you can lose most of your work and waste a lot of time.
Do you use Google Sheets for homework?
Students are trained in previously unfamiliar formats, as a pandemic or war can make adjustments to the usual style of homework. That’s why professors need to find ways to give assignments to students offline, and that’s why they resort to Google Spreadsheets. You can first create your projects on a computer and then transfer them to the online format as we described earlier, but you need to take into account all the nuances. The developers will likely refine the tables online and expand the list of formulas so that students and everyone else can easily do any work online in the future. In any case, if you are told to perform in Excel, you will need to listen to instructions from the college.
Of course, you can ask the experts for help with your assignments. In what format to perform your task, you can tell them in the instructions, and they will help you use the program you need. Regardless of whether you will be doing your projects yourself, both Excel and Google Sheets can help you depending on the complexity of the task!