The intelligence community has warned in the recent reports that US adversaries are increasingly using cyberattacks to attack the country. Critical infrastructures are targeted by the Nation-States by using cyber operations. All these raises the probability of cyber attacks that may have the potential to cause more destruction.
Office of the Director of National Intelligence compiled the report. This report states that nation-state actors are attempting cyber-attacks that are targeted towards affecting the civilian population as well.
- The assessment revealed that China has a notable capability of cyber attacks and is an effective and prolific cyber espionage.
- An influence operation is carried out by Iran where they are spreading and re-circulating fake information and anti US content.
- North Korea has also attempted many frauds like crypto currency fraud and other crimes which included finance to fund its government program like the missile and nuclear programs.
Some recent attacks on the US-
- Different US agencies like the FBI, CISA, NSA accused APT29, a Russia based threat group to be responsible for the attack on SolarWind software power supply chain. This attack exposed almost 18,000 customers worldwide.
- Charming Kitten, a Iran based threat group ran a credential theft campaign that was highly targeted. Their main target was research facilities and workers of the medical institutions in the US.
These state-sponsored threat groups may continue to run attacks using the cyber tools to target the US and foreign businesses. Also, adversaries are trying to enhance their tools to increase their cyber attacking capabilities. Therefore, all organizations should be updated with latest security measures to keep themselves safe from these attacks.