Wave hello to the trend that’s curling its way back into the spotlight: Perm Hairstyles for Men. As a hairstylist, I’ve watched countless hair trends come and go, but the timeless allure of perms never ceases to amaze me.
They’re not just a reminiscent journey to the past but a reimagined style for the modern man.
Men everywhere are now embracing these locks, from tight coils to casual waves, proving that versatility is indeed the spice of life.
In the 80s, the perm was an unmistakable hallmark, but as the decades passed, it was primarily remembered as a style for women.
Fast forward to today, and perm hairstyles for men have taken center stage, diversifying what it means to rock a curly mane.
Each curl tells a story, and each wave sings its own tune. So, if you’ve been on the straight and narrow for too long, it might be time to consider a twist in your tale.
Let’s dive deeper into this whirlwind world of perm hairstyles and see how they’re reshaping the way men think about their mane.
Most Popular Perm Hairstyles for Men
Perm Mullet: A Fusion of Trends
Blending the audacity of the mullet with the charisma of perms, the perm mullet hairstyle is a modern nod to retro chic. This style captures the essence of the ’80s while exuding contemporary flair, offering a unique blend of business in the front and party in the back.
When I decided to try the perm mullet, I was merging two iconic styles: the audacity of the mullet and the charisma of perms. The outcome? A look that felt both nostalgic and modern.
The Subtle Wave
Not every perm has to scream “volume.” For those who crave a nuanced approach, subtle waves provide a casual yet polished look. It’s perfect for adding just a touch of movement and life to otherwise straight hair.
The Subtle Wave is one of the trending perm hairstyles for men that strikes a delicate balance between sophistication and spontaneity.
It’s a perfect choice for those who want to embrace the curly side without going overboard.
source :@nappycutss instagram
The Tight Curl
Inspired by the classic 80s look but with a modern vibe, tight curls give a youthful and energetic feel. It suits the adventurous at heart, eager to make a bold statement.
As one of the iconic perm hairstyles for men, it embodies confidence and zest. These curls are compact, coiled, and create a dense texture, offering a robust and vibrant look.
Ideal for those who aren’t afraid to be the center of attention, The Tight Curl is a statement hairstyle that exudes a lively energy.
Source: @jelle.vissers via Instagram
The Loose Curl
The epitome of laid-back charm, The Loose Curl is among the perm hairstyles for men that channel a breezy, beach-ready vibe.
With its relaxed curls and seemingly effortless style, it’s perfect for the man who wants a look that says “go with the flow.” The curls are spacious and free-flowing, providing a versatile look that can be dressed up or down.
For men seeking a hairstyle that merges casual allure with a touch of elegance, The Loose Curl is a top choice.
The Voluminous Perm
For those looking to add some serious volume to their locks, The Voluminous Perm stands out among the perm hairstyles for men.
This hairstyle breathes life into the hair, making it look fuller, thicker, and more dynamic. The curls in this style are multifaceted, ranging from tight to loose, creating an illusion of dense, lush hair.
The Voluminous Perm offers a rejuvenated appearance and a boost in confidence.
Tips from a Pro: Taking Care of Your Perm
As someone who’s dedicated their professional life to hair, I can’t stress enough the importance of hair care post-perming.
Here is a step-by-Step guide on How to take care of your perms:
- Wait at least 48 hours after getting your perm before you wash your hair. This allows the curls to set properly.
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo to keep the hair’s natural oils intact, which helps in preserving the curl.
- Opt for a hydrating shampoo to keep your curls moisturized and frizz-free.
- Use a deep conditioner once a week to maintain hair health and to retain the curl’s elasticity.
- Leave the conditioner on for at least 5 minutes before rinsing to ensure it penetrates the hair shaft.
- Limit the use of heat styling tools like hairdryers, as they can weaken and damage the curls.
- If you must use a hairdryer, utilize a diffuser attachment and a low-heat setting.
Moisturize and Define
- Apply a light hair oil or serum daily to keep your curls shiny and prevent dryness.
- Use curl-defining creams or mousses to enhance the curl pattern and reduce frizz.
- Instead of brushing, which can disrupt the curl pattern and cause frizz, use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle and style.
- Schedule regular trims with your hairstylist to keep your curls looking fresh and to prevent split ends.
Protect While Sleeping
- Consider using a silk or satin pillowcase, as it reduces hair friction and helps to prevent frizz.
- Alternatively, wear a silk or satin head wrap to bed.
Limit Chemical Treatments
- Avoid coloring your hair immediately after a perm. Wait at least a week or consult your hairstylist for advice.
- Be wary of using other chemicals that might compromise the integrity of your perm.
Stay Protected from the Sun
- Extended exposure to the sun can dry out and damage permed hair. Wear a hat or use hair products with UV protection when out in direct sunlight.
Stay Hydrated and Maintain a Healthy Diet
- Drink plenty of water, and maintain a balanced diet. Healthy hair starts from within, so ensure you’re consuming foods rich in vitamins and minerals, particularly biotin, omega-3 fatty acids, and protein.
Remember, just as each individual’s hair is unique, the way perms settle can vary. It’s essential to pay attention to how your hair responds to products and treatments, adjusting your care routine accordingly.
If in doubt, always consult with a professional hairstylist familiar with perm hairstyles for men. They can offer guidance tailored to your specific hair type and needs.
Why Consider a Perm?
The versatility of perm hairstyles is simply unmatched. It can suit any face shape, hair type, or personality.
Whether you’re aiming for a professional demeanor or a relaxed, weekend-ready look, there’s a perm style for you. Moreover, as a professional hairstylist, I can attest to the transformational power of a well-done perm.
It’s not just about changing your hair; it’s about redefining your style, boosting confidence, and presenting a new side of yourself to the world.
While perm hairstyles are taking center stage, many men are also paying attention to their facial hair to achieve a cohesive, well-groomed look. If you’re one of those looking for inspiration on how to match your new curls with your beard, check out Beardlong for some trendy beard styles.
In my journey through the evolving landscape of hair fashion, perm hairstyles for men stand out as a testament to the timeless allure of curls.
It’s not merely about revisiting a trend but reimagining it for the contemporary man. As I’ve observed and crafted countless styles, I truly believe that the resurgence of perms is more than just a fleeting moment—it’s a statement, a declaration of individuality and flair.
So, if you’re looking to make a bold yet classic statement, it might just be time to let those curls speak for you. Embrace the twist, and let the world see a new side of you!
Q1. Is it hard to maintain a perm for men?
While “Perm Hairstyles for Men” offer a stylish twist, they require regular care. However, with the right routine—using sulfate-free shampoos, deep conditioning, and avoiding harsh chemicals—it’s not particularly hard to maintain. Like all hairstyles, it just demands consistent attention and understanding of one’s hair type.
Q2. How long does perm last for guys?
Perm hairstyles for men typically last between 3 to 6 months. The longevity largely depends on hair type, the style of the perm, and how diligently one maintains it. Regular trims and proper hair care can prolong its lifespan.
Q3. How damaging is a perm?
Any chemical process, including perm hairstyles for men, has the potential to be damaging. However, with modern techniques and formulas, the damage is minimized. Proper post-perm care, like deep conditioning and avoiding other chemical treatments, can further mitigate any harm.
Q4. Can I wear a hat after a perm?
It’s advisable to avoid wearing a hat immediately after getting perm hairstyles for men, as it can disrupt the curl formation. Waiting at least 48 hours ensures the curls set properly. After that, hats can be worn but with caution to prevent flattening.
Q5. How do you sleep with permed hair?
When sleeping with perm hairstyles for men, use a silk or satin pillowcase to minimize friction and frizz. Alternatively, consider a loose silk or satin head wrap. These prevent the curls from tangling and maintain their defined shape.