In today’s fast-paced world, the gig economy has become a popular avenue for individuals to make extra cash and explore flexible job opportunities. Thanks to the rise of gig apps, people can now easily connect with various app-based jobs and leverage their skills to earn money on their terms. Whether it’s driving passengers, delivering food, freelancing, or providing home services, these gig apps offer a multitude of options to generate additional income. In this article, we will explore the 19 best gig apps of 2023, covering a range of industries, and delve into how they can help individuals maximize their earning potential while enjoying the freedom and convenience of app-based work.
Benefits of Gig Apps:
Flexibility in Scheduling and Working Hours:
Gig apps offer the advantage of flexible scheduling and working hours. Unlike traditional jobs with fixed shifts, gig workers are free to choose when they want to work. This flexibility allows individuals to balance their gig work with personal commitments, such as family responsibilities or pursuing other interests.
Increased Earning Potential:
Gig apps can provide an opportunity to boost your earnings. With gig work, you can take on multiple gigs simultaneously or work additional hours when you need extra income. This flexibility allows you to maximize your earning potential based on your availability and financial goals.
Wide Range of Job Opportunities:
One of the key benefits of gig apps is the diverse range of job opportunities available. From ridesharing and food delivery to freelance writing and graphic design, gig apps cover various industries catering to different skills and interests. This variety ensures that individuals can find gig work that aligns with their expertise and preferences.
Ability to Work Remotely:
Gig apps offer the convenience of working remotely. Whether you’re driving passengers, delivering packages, or providing freelance services, you can often perform your gig work from the comfort of your vehicle, home, or preferred location. This eliminates the need for a traditional office setting and allows you to work in an environment that suits you best.
Quick and Easy Payment Methods:
Gig apps provide seamless and efficient payment methods. Once you complete a gig, you can expect to receive your earnings promptly. Many gig apps offer cashless transactions, allowing you to receive payments directly to your bank account or through digital payment platforms. This eliminates the hassle of dealing with physical cash and ensures a convenient and secure payment process.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Gig Apps
When it comes to selecting the right gig apps for your needs, there are several important factors to keep in mind. These factors can greatly impact your overall experience and success in the gig economy. Here are the key considerations to take into account:
User Ratings and Reviews
Checking user ratings and reviews is crucial before diving into any gig apps. These insights from fellow gig workers can provide valuable information about the app’s reliability, reputation, and user satisfaction. Look for apps with high ratings and positive feedback to ensure a better working experience.
Payment Structure and Rates
Understanding the app’s payment structure and rates is essential to determining your earning potential. Some gig apps may offer a fixed rate per task, while others might provide a variable payment based on factors like distance or time. Compare different gig apps to find the ones that offer fair and competitive compensation for your efforts.
Job Availability in Your Area
Before committing to a gig apps, consider the availability of jobs in your location. Some gig apps may have a stronger presence in certain cities or regions, resulting in more job opportunities. Choosing an app that caters to your area is important to ensure a consistent flow of gigs and maximize your earning potential.
App Usability and Functionality
The usability and functionality of gig apps can greatly impact your overall experience. Look for apps with a user-friendly interface, intuitive navigation, and clear instructions. A well-designed app can save you time and frustration when finding, accepting, and completing gigs.
Safety and Security Measures
Your safety and security should be a top priority when choosing gig apps. Investigate the safety measures implemented by the app, such as background checks on service providers and insurance coverage. Additionally, check if the app provides a support system or reporting mechanisms to address any safety concerns that may arise during your gig work.
Best Gig Apps in the Industry
Let’s take a closer look at the top gig apps in the transportation industry, specifically focusing on ridesharing and delivery services. We’ll provide an overview of each app, detailing its unique features and benefits.
Uber is one of the most well-known gig apps in the ridesharing industry. It connects passengers with drivers using a user-friendly mobile app.
- Real-time navigation, cashless payments, driver ratings, and various vehicle options (such as UberX, UberXL, and UberBLACK).
- Earning Potential: The amount you can earn with Uber depends on factors like the number of trips completed, time spent driving, and location. Surge pricing during peak hours can significantly boost earnings.
- Driver Requirements: A valid driver’s license, a registered vehicle, a clean driving record, and passing a background check are typically required.
Lyft is another popular ridesharing app that allows drivers to pick up passengers and provide transportation services.
- Features: In-app navigation, easy-to-use interface, ride-sharing options, tipping feature, and a dedicated driver support team.
- Earning Potential: Like Uber, earnings with Lyft depend on various factors. Peak hours, high-demand events, and passenger tips can all contribute to increased earnings.
- Driver Requirements: A valid driver’s license, an eligible vehicle, passing a background check, and meeting the minimum age requirement are typically necessary.
DoorDash is a delivery gig apps that connects drivers with customers who want food or other items delivered to their doorstep.
- Features: Order tracking, flexible scheduling, fast payouts, and the ability to work with a car, motorcycle, or even a bicycle in certain areas.
- Earning Potential: DoorDash drivers can earn through a combination of base pay, promotions, tips, and bonuses. Earnings can vary based on factors like distance, time, and order size.
- Driver Requirements: A valid driver’s license, a reliable vehicle, and passing a background check are usually required.
Instacart is a popular app for grocery delivery, allowing individuals to shop for and deliver groceries to customers.
- Features: Flexible hours, the ability to choose between full-service shopping or in-store shopping only, and opportunities for higher earnings during busy times.
- Earning Potential: Instacart drivers earn through a combination of base pay, tips, and incentives. Earnings can vary depending on factors like order size, distance travelled, and customer tips.
- Driver Requirements: A valid driver’s license, a reliable vehicle, and the ability to lift and carry heavy items are typically required.
FastEats is a popular food delivery app that connects users with local restaurants. As a delivery driver, you can set your schedule and accept orders based on your availability.
- The app provides navigation assistance, order tracking, and the potential to earn tips from satisfied customers.
- To join, you typically need a valid driver’s license, a reliable vehicle, and a smartphone.
FreshToYou focuses on delivering groceries from supermarkets and specialty stores. With this app, you can accept shopping requests, pick items based on the provided list, and deliver them to customers’ doorsteps.
- The app offers flexible working hours, in-app payment, and the ability to earn additional income through tips.
- To work with FreshToYou, you generally need a vehicle, a valid driver’s license, and the ability to lift and carry heavy items.
ShopSmart is one of the gig apps that allows users to hire personal shoppers for their grocery needs. As a shopper, you receive shopping lists from customers, navigate the store, select the requested items, and deliver them.
- The app provides clear instructions, real-time communication with customers, and the potential to earn competitive compensation.
- To become a shopper with ShopSmart, you typically need a smartphone, knowledge of local stores, and the ability to handle multiple orders efficiently.
CookItEasy is a gig app that connects users with individuals needing meal preparation assistance. As a cook, you can create personalized menus, follow recipes, and prepare meals in your kitchen.
- The app offers flexibility in setting your availability, the option to showcase your culinary skills, and the potential to earn income for your cooking expertise.
- To join CookItEasy, you generally need culinary experience, access to a well-equipped kitchen, and a passion for creating delicious meals.
If you’re looking for a gig apps that offers excellent pay, Shipt is a top contender in the grocery delivery market, much like Instacart. As a Shipt Shopper, you can earn money by shopping for customers’ groceries and delivering them to their doorstep.
- To become a Shipt Shopper, you need to be at least 18 years old, have access to a vehicle, pass a background check, and reside in the United States.
- Shipt Shopper earnings typically range from $15 to $20 per hour on average, and the best part is that you get to keep 100% of the tips, just like with Uber Eats or Instacart.
- Pros: Shipt provides a variety of services you can offer, allowing you to diversify your gig activities. Additionally, if you enjoy interacting with furry friends, you may have the opportunity to spend time with dogs as part of your job.
- Cons: Unfortunately, Shipt is only available for individuals residing in the United States, limiting its accessibility to a global audience.
- Average Pay: Shipt Shoppers can expect to earn an average of $15 to $20 per hour, offering a competitive compensation rate compared to other gig apps in the market.
Rover: Earning Cash as a Dog Sitter
If you’re a dog lover looking for a rewarding app-based job, look no further than Rover. As one of the largest networks connecting dog owners with sitters, Rover offers a fantastic opportunity to care for beloved pets when their owners cannot do so.
- Rover allows sitters to offer a range of services, including house sitting, day-care, and dog walking, all in exchange for cash. If you opt for house-sitting or daycare services, you can earn higher payouts.
- Pros: Rover offers various services to suit your preferences, and the chance to spend your workdays playing with dogs is undoubtedly a major perk.
- Cons: It may take some time to build up your client base and find regular bookings, which can impact the speed at which you start earning money.
- Average Pay: Top Rover sitters and walkers can earn $1,000 or more per month, making it a lucrative gig for dog lovers who want to turn their passion into a source of income.
If you’re looking for a gig apps that offers flexibility and the opportunity to make extra cash on your terms, Postmates is worth considering. Like other delivery businesses, becoming a courier with Postmates is a straightforward process.
- To get started, simply sign up on the Postmates website, providing some basic personal information. You’ll need to complete a background check, which is standard procedure for these platforms. Once approved, you’ll receive a welcome kit in the mail, which includes your Postmates Prepaid Card.
- Postmates claims that experienced couriers have the potential to earn more than $20 per hour.
- Pros of working with Postmates include the flexibility to choose your schedule, the potential for high hourly pay, and the possibility of receiving tips.
- On average, Postmates couriers can expect to earn approximately $9 to $15 per hour, considering the commission and vehicle expenses.
TaskRabbit is a well-known and widely used gig apps that serves as a marketplace connecting “Taskers” with people needing various tasks and services. This platform has gained immense popularity in England, Canada, and the United States, making it a comprehensive app for those looking to earn extra income.
Popular Categories on TaskRabbit:
- Home Cleaning: Taskers can offer their cleaning services for residential properties, assisting individuals with keeping their homes tidy and organized.
- Furniture Assembly: If you possess skills in assembling furniture, TaskRabbit provides opportunities to help customers assemble their newly purchased items.
- Painting Work: TaskRabbit allows you to showcase your painting skills and take on projects such as painting rooms, walls, or furniture.
- Yard Work: Individuals with green thumbs can find gigs related to yard maintenance, such as mowing lawns, gardening, or landscaping.
- General Handyman Jobs: If you have a knack for fixing things around the house, TaskRabbit offers a platform to offer your handyman services for tasks like plumbing, electrical work, or minor repairs.
TaskRabbit presents a wide range of gigs for Taskers to choose from, allowing you to set your rates and work hours. While some gigs on TaskRabbit offer high hourly rates, it’s important to note that the demand may not be as consistent as that of more popular gig apps like DoorDash or Uber Eats.
- Pros: TaskRabbit provides a diverse range of gigs to offer, enabling you to set your own rates and determine your availability.
- Cons: The demand for gigs on TaskRabbit may be lower than on other well-known gig platforms.
- Average Pay: The earning potential on TaskRabbit varies depending on the type of gig you choose, but many gigs typically pay around $20 to $40 per hour.
If you’re looking for a gig work app that pays you to discover your city, look no further than Premise. With Premise, you can earn small amounts of cash by completing quick tasks in your local area. This unique app combines the elements of mystery shopping and freelance gigs, offering a diverse range of opportunities.
- Tasks on premises typically involve activities like photographing buildings, capturing store displays, and verifying item prices. Pros: Multiple avenues for earning money.
- Cons: Limited availability of gigs in smaller towns.
- Average Pay: Earn between $3 and $7 per task.
Wag, similar to Rover, is a prominent app that provides an opportunity for side hustlers to earn extra cash by walking dogs. The process of working for Wag is quite similar to Rover. You can sign up and create a Wag account, set your schedule, and start earning money by walking dogs or offering pet-sitting services.
- It’s important to note that Wag takes a higher commission of 40% from completed jobs compared to Rover.
- Pros: Wag can be a great way to supplement your income from Rover or other sources. It provides an additional avenue to earn money by walking dogs.
- Cons: However, it may not be as lucrative as Rover, and building a client base on the platform can take some time.
- Average Pay: The average pay on Wag varies depending on the number of clients and dogs you have. With a steady client base, you can make a few hundred dollars per month.
Handy is a gig apps that offers an opportunity to earn extra cash by assisting with tasks such as home cleaning, furniture assembly, wall mounting, and various other jobs that customers might need help with.
- One of the advantages of Handy, like many other gig apps mentioned in this article, is that it generally pays higher than the minimum wage. If you establish a steady line of work with the platform, you can earn quick money
- Pros: It offers a variety of services you can provide; provides high hourly pay.
- Cons: It may take some time to find clients initially.
- Average Pay: Many gigs on Handy pay between $20 and $50 per hour.
Walmart Spark: A Convenient Delivery Gig
If you’re looking for a driving gig that offers flexibility and the opportunity to earn extra cash, Walmart Spark is worth considering. This popular gig work app allows you to shop for everyday essentials and groceries, delivering them to Walmart customers. To sign up, you must be 18 or older, reside in the United States, and own a vehicle.
- On average, Spark drivers earn about $15 per hour. One of this gig’s advantages is its flexibility; you can choose when you want to work, making it a convenient side hustle.
- Pros: The sign-up process is straightforward, making it easy to get started.
- Cons: While Walmart Spark expands, availability may vary in certain areas.
LawnLove: The Perfect Gig App for Lawn Care Professionals
If you’re a professional landscaper or have a knack for maintaining beautiful lawns, LawnLove is an excellent gig app for you. This platform connects skilled lawn care professionals with clients seeking various services, including lawn mowing, aeration, weed control, grass seeding, and leaf removal. With LawnLove, you may even secure long-term contracts with clients who appreciate your top-notch workmanship.
- One of the notable advantages of LawnLove is its flexibility. You can set your schedule, allowing you to balance work with other commitments.
- It’s important to note that to work with LawnLove, you’ll need to have your equipment, including lawncare tools, and it’s advisable to have a pickup truck for transporting your supplies to different job sites.
- Pros: Flexible schedule: You can set your working hours.
- High earning potential: LawnLove claims that you can earn up to $1,000 per week
- Cons: Lawncare knowledge and equipment are required: Proficiency in lawncare techniques and owning the necessary equipment are essential to succeeding with LawnLove.
Wonolo: Find Local Jobs on Demand
Wonolo is a convenient job marketplace app that empowers workers to discover and accept available jobs in their area at the touch of a button. With Wonolo, you can easily browse through a variety of jobs and, if the opportunity aligns with your preferences, accept it and start working on the same day.
- The platform primarily offers jobs in manufacturing processes, shipping, delivery, and logistics.
- According to Glassdoor, the average pay for Wonolo jobs typically ranges from $12 to $21 per hour, offering competitive compensation for gig workers.
- Pros of Wonolo: Offers a wide variety of job options and Enables finding and accepting local gigs on the same day
- Cons of Wonolo: Jobs are temporary, limiting long-term earning potential and May require continuous searching for new gigs
- Pay ranges from $12 to $21 per hour, depending on the specific job
Jobble: Your Gateway to Flexible Same-Day Gigs
Looking for a gig app that offers a plethora of job opportunities at your fingertips? Look no further than Jobble, one of the most popular on-demand gig apps on the market.
- With Jobble, side hustlers like you can easily discover flexible, same-day job opportunities by exploring their massive marketplace of gig economy jobs.
- Pros: Jobble caters to a diverse range of industries, ensuring that you can find gig jobs that align with your unique skill set and interests.
- Average Pay: On average, the hourly rates are similar to other gig apps like Wonolo, ranging from $12 to $20 an hour.
The gig economy has experienced remarkable growth in recent years. It is fueled by the emergence of gig apps that connect individuals with a wide range of app-based jobs. In this article, we explored the 19 best gig apps of 2023, spanning various industries and offering opportunities to make extra cash.
Whether you’re looking for gigs in transportation, food, and beverage, freelance and creative work, home services, or personal services, these apps provide a convenient and flexible platform to pursue app-based jobs. By considering factors such as earning potential, job requirements, and personal skills, you can find the perfect gig app to suit your needs and embark on a rewarding journey in the gig economy. So, seize the opportunity, leverage these gig apps, and start making extra cash on your terms.
- Read more web guides here