There are a number of threat actors from China who are targeting multiple organisations around the world. They generally target government facilities, education, military, finance, etc. They try and extract the sensitive information from these critical infrastructure.
APTs the attack spree-
Several APT groups that are believed to be linked with Chinese Government directly or indirectly are targeting several private and government organisations across the world.
Some of the attacks faced are-
- A number of Japanese firms were targeted by a group called APT40. The China government was suspected to be behind this attack according to the Japanese spokesperson.
- A similar attack targeted hundreds of people from SouthEast Asia.
- U.S. DoJ revealed charges against four Nationals of China with the accusation of hacking the government agencies and also the universities around for Chinese interest.
- The US government recently accused Chinese Ministry of State Security of running a cyber attack campaign on Microsoft’s Exchange email system.
- The Government of Norway claimed of an attack from its email system of the parliament, which was sponsored by the Chinese government.
- Recorded Future also accused the Chinese government of active targeting of the telecommunication organisation which was based in Nepal, Philippines and Taiwan.
This is not new that Chinese threat actors have been actively attacking organizations around the world. With time, their attacks are getting more complex and powerful and it is necessary for the organisation to stay vigilant of such attackers and stay protected.